Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information
SCAC is monitoring the spread of Coronavirus Disease 2019, commonly called Coronavirus – or COVID-19, by staying in touch with federal and state government partners. SCAC will share any important information received with county officials by email and also post it online so that you can make informed decisions for your community. Any legal information shared on this page does not constitute legal advice. Please talk with your county attorney and/or employment attorney for legal advice pertaining specifically to your county.
Federal Relief Packages and Other Federal Funding
The U.S. Department of Treasury has issued a third round of additional, much more extensive Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) related to the Coronavirus Relief Fund.
- NACo’s County-by-County Estimates of COVID-19 3.5 Supplemental Package
- New COVID-19 Federal Supplemental Packages and Human Resource Implications for Counties
- SCAC's FFCRA Summary
- FFCRA-FMLA Expansion (Gignilliat, Savitz & Bettis LLP)
Gignilliat, Savitz & Bettis – Summary and resources for FFCRA
- FFCRA: Implications for Public Employers and First Responders
- Coronavirus - An Employer's Legal Guide to Planning, Response, and Mitigation ( Parker Poe Adams & Bernstein LLP)
Parker Pow Attorneys at Law – Navigating the Coronavirus Pandemic
- FFCRA Summary (Winters Law Firm)
- NACo has released a summary of the $2 trillion CARES Act (H.R. 748), the third federal emergency supplemental package.
- COVID-19 Federal Funding Resources
- Federal Government Passes Relief Packages in Response to the Coronavirus Pandemic
International City/County Management Association – Employment Law Adjustments
County Operations Information
The S.C. Election Commission has developed information regarding the safety precautions that will be in place for the June primaries.
- A Legal Perspective on Reopening Communities
- Implementing a Phased Approach to Reopening Community Facilities
- Employment Law Adjustments for COVID-19
- Kickstart Pickens County Phased Reopening Plans
- SC Counties COVID-19 FAQs
- SCAC Survey of County Operations
- Revenue Projections and Budgetary Implications Meeting in light of COVID-19
- New Guidance on Orientation and Continuing Education Requirements
- SCAC Technical Bulletin on Virtual Meetings
- SCAC Legislative Alert on Continuing Resolutions
- The SC COVID-19 Emergency Supply Collaborative identifies and coordinates partners that have the capability to quickly source and/or make medical supplies and other products to support the state's COVID-19 response.
- State Requirements for Planning and Zoning Eased During Pandemic
- Counties Using Technology to Conduct Virtual Meetings During Coronavirus Pandemic
- Counties Respond to Pandemic
Resources for Residents and Businesses
- Small Business Guidance & Loan Resources
SBA Economic Injury Disaster Loans
- Contact: SCEMD Sam Carr (email@example.com, 803-260-8239) or ESF-24 (firstname.lastname@example.org, 803-737-8524)
SBA Paycheck Protection Program
- HUD Mortgage Relief Assistance
SC Legal Services provides free legal assistance in a wide variety of civil (non-criminal) legal matters to eligible low income residents.
American Bar Association Free Legal Answers enables low-income individuals to post online and get answers to civil legal questions from licensed pro bono volunteer lawyers.
- SC Housing Trust Fund works through a network of sponsors to provide affordable housing to eligible citizens. Individuals in need of assistance can contact an approved nonprofit. Nonprofit representatives interested in becoming an approved sponsor should contact Housing Trust Fund Manager Felicia Kilgore (Kilgore@schousing.com, 803-896-9362).
Information for Jails and Detention Centers
The National Institute for Jail Operations (NIJO) has posted a significant amount of resources regarding COVID-19 and jail operations online including free access to webinars and other important information.
- COVID -19 Considerations for South Carolina Detention Centers
- Coronavirus and Safety — What Every Cop Needs to Know
- S.C. Department of Corrections' COVID-19 Action Plan
- Detention Center Challenges During Pandemic
At the national level, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is the best source for information. At the state level, the S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control will direct information distribution and response. The International City/County Management Association (ICMA) has resources available related to considering the chain of command during a public health emergency, to communicating with citizens, to preparing the county’s workforce.
SCAC has prepared a summary of the Governor's Executive Orders. Please contact SCAC staff if you have any questions or need additional information.
- SLED Guidance on the Enforcement of Executive Order 2020-10
S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control (SCDHEC)
- DHEC’s Memo regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19) Food Service Restrictions
- Link to resources and latest info — https://www.scdhec.gov/health/infectious-diseases/viruses/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19
- Educational and outreach material — https://www.scdhec.gov/health/infectious-diseases/viruses/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19/educational-outreach-materials-2019-ncov
S.C. Emergency Management Division (SCEMD)
S.C. Department of Natural Resources
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Link to resources and latest info — https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- Resources for preventing COVID-19 spread in communities and workplaces — https://bit.ly/3dveinp
- Communication resources including a digital press kit — https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/communication/index.html
Guidance on Management of Coronavirus Disease in Correctional and Detention Facilities — https://bit.ly/2UjOu61
Reopening Guidance for Cleaning and Disinfecting Public Spaces — https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/reopen-guidance.html
- FEMA Advisory: COVID19 - Pandemic Operational Guidance for 2020 Hurricane Season
- Local governments are eligible to apply for FEMA’s Public Assistance Program, Category B — Fact Sheet
- FEMA’s Procurement Under Grants related to reimbursements
- Weekly Update
- COVID-19 by the Numbers
- Applying the Defense Production Act
- Purchase and Distribution of Food Eligible for Public Assistance
- FEMA Public Assistance Program Fact Sheet
- Resources for Individuals and Households
Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
- Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Agency (CISA)
- Guidance on essential critical infrastructure workforce
- Includes information on identification of essential critical infrastructure workers, 16 critical infrastructure sectors, and frequently asked questions, among other things.
- Guidance on essential critical infrastructure workforce
Department of Labor
- Includes information on workplace safety; wages, hours, and leave; and unemployment insurance flexibilities, among other things.
- FFCRA FAQs
- Rules to administer emergency paid sick leave and expanded FMLA
Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA)
- Links to resources and latest info — https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/covid-19/
- 2020 Guidance on Preparing Workplaces for COVID-19
National Association of Counties (NACo)
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): County Response Efforts & Priorities
- Includes Implementation of Mitigation Strategies for Communities with Local COVID-19 Transmission, a NACo Letter to Congressional Leadership on Coronavirus Pandemic, and NACo's Analysis of Federal Legislation on Coronavirus Pandemic, among other resources.
- NACo Membership Call Recording
- NACo President Mary Ann Borgeson and CEO Matt Chase led a call on Tuesday, March 17 to provide updates to our membership regarding the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Conference delegates receive briefing from CDC Chief Medical Examiner Mitch Wolfe — https://www.naco.org/articles/naco-members-get-briefing-coronavirus-cdc
- U.S. Digital Response Matches Volunteers with County Needs
- NACo's Maximizing Federal Assistance Webinar Available for Streaming
- Considerations for Local Government — https://icma.org/coronavirus-resources-plan-and-prepare-now-it-hits-your-community
- Overview of the recent federal assistance packages and recommendations on how local governments can access COVID-19 funding resources
- 10 Tips for Organizing Effectively to Secure COVID-19 Resources
- Local Goverments Help Small Businesses Reopen
- How Local Governments Are Working to Keep Small Business Alive
Public Risk Management Association (PRIMA)
- Podcast: Q&A with Public Risk Managers Responding to COVID-19
- Webinar: Risk Management Response to COVID-19
Telehealth for County Employees
County employees are encouraged to take advanatage of telehealth services to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and other diseases.
- The State Health Plan and Coronavirus
- Primsa Health Offers Free Virtual Visit to Screen for COVID-19
- MUSC Offers Free Virtual Health Care for State Health Plan Members
- Blue Care on Demand for State Health Plan Members